In a homeschooling house full of 7 kids & 3 guniea pigs....there is never a dull moment! A lot of people show genuine concern for us and want to know how we are doing, as the road we've left behind was not a pleasant one. So, here I am, to tell some of our stories...share some of our days...and open up a part of our world to you! Come join us on our journey so you won't miss the moments that take our breath away!

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Chicken n' Dumplings

Alright ladies....here it is :D  My very sought after Chicken n' Dumplings recipe!  I originally got this recipe off of copykat.  I've tinkered with it a bit.

Begin by bringing 2 quarts of water to a boil and add either a whole chicken, chicken breast or chicken tenderloins.  Boil until chicken is cooked through.  Remove meat and bring water level back up and flavor to taste with chicken bouillion (I use powdered not cubed), i make mine pretty strong.  You will use this water to cook your dumplings.  When chicken is cool, either cut it up or tear it apart...however big/small you want it.  I usually make my dumpling sauce while the chicken cools.

Dumpling Sauce:
3 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Whole Milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2-3/4 Cup dumpling cooking liquid (after dumplings have been cooked)
White pepper to taste
Black pepper to taste

Place butter in medium sauce pan and melt, add salt and flour then stir until thick.  Mix suger with milk and add to flour mixture a little at a time and stir constantly with a whisk until thick and smooth.  Add white pepper and pepper to taste.  Remove from heat.  Now cook your dumplings! 

Dumplings:
I use the Pioneer Brand buttermilk buscuit and baking mix (comes in a cute old fashioned looking container)
just follow their recipe for dumplings on the back, but double it...trust me :)
*you will need poultry seasoning for the dumplings (i flavor my own broth, i don't use canned as the box calls for)

Drop dumplings by teaspoonful (they will stay on the top of your water).  Don't overstuff your pot, it will take a few batches to cook them all...be patient!  I turn the burner down to low/med and cook them for about 5-6 minutes.  If your water is boiling out of the top, your burner is too high!

Place cooked dumplings in dumpling sauce and add 1/2 -3/4 cups of cooking liquid.  Again, add peppers and or boullion (this is why I use the powder) to taste.  Stir gently so that you don't break apart your dumplings.  Add more cooking liquid if needed.   

I hope your family enjoys this recipe as much as mine does!  I still haven't mastered how much to multiply this recipe for my flock...it seems we never have enough...even though I cook ours in a commercial size pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment