In a homeschooling house full of 7 kids & 3 guniea pigs....there is never a dull moment! A lot of people show genuine concern for us and want to know how we are doing, as the road we've left behind was not a pleasant one. So, here I am, to tell some of our stories...share some of our days...and open up a part of our world to you! Come join us on our journey so you won't miss the moments that take our breath away!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WednesDAY-in-the-Life

We have linked up to the Not Back to School Blog Hop this week, sharing "A day in the life..."

Today is Wednesday!  We are not quite in full swing of a "normal" school day, but we knew as we started this year, that we'd have a rough beginning.  With so much going on and so much to do, we aren't really going to get into the swing of things until near the end of September.  For now, life and making precious memories awaits us! 

You see...my mother is nearing the end of her life and we are preparing for a very special trip with my entire family.  One last "horrah" for my mom, her last vacation...our last chance to make precious memories that will hopefully last my kids a lifetime.  It's a very bittersweet trip, but one we anxiously await! 

Today, my day started later than I wanted it to...but since life is always happening around here, I didn't get much sleep last night.  I went to bed much later than I should have and Duckling and Macaw both paid my room a visit at around 3am.  From 3am until my alarm went off at 6:30, I didn't get much sleep so I didn't crawl out of bed until nearly 7:00am.  I sipped a cup of coffee while enjoying the nice morning breeze and great conversation with Falcon and soon later, the flock made their way down the stairs.  Breakfast, which was just cereal and fruit this morning, was served by 8:00am and by 8:30am or so today's lessons had begun.

The little ones were busy with play, Eagle got busy with his spelling lesson, Hawk worked on Math and Reading and Cardinal squeezed in part of a History lesson before we had to rush off to her Dr. appointment.  Falcon stayed behind to teach the others, while I took Cardinal to her appointment.  On our way home, we stopped off at a few places to gather some items we need for our upcoming trip.  We were gone for about 4 hours, but when we returned, lunch had been served and Hawk and Eagle had completed all of their daily lessons.  Eagle learned about writing numbers through 10,000 in Math.  Reviewed a bit on identifying the four kinds of sentences in LA.  He was introduced to Vocabulary (WordlyWise3), he enjoyed a classic story in Literature and did a bit of Geography.  I'm not sure what Hawk's day brought him, but I know that he completed all of his assigned lessons. 

Macaw had received a package from her school which contained some lessons concentrating on her fine motor skills.  She was so excited and she got right to work writing and cutting away. 




Emu was busy sharpening colored pencils...it's a tough job, but someone has to do it!


Cardinal worked hard on a research paper she had to complete for Science (Madagascar Organisms).  It seemed pretty easy for her, but she didn't complain...she took some great pictures!

After dinner, we spent some time outside.  The little ones were excited to find a grasshopper and so they learned a bit about him.  I love watching my kids in the great outdoors and I love that our classroom isn't contained to those four walls that enclose that one room in our house that we call our "classroom".  I love watching my children learn about the great world that surrounds them.


Emu was not too sure about this little fellow...

Duckling, on the other hand, was busy explaining to Mr. Grasshopper that they were "Best Friends"...

...and look at that smile!  Mr. Grasshopper must have agreed!


So, now our Wednesday comes to an end.  The little ones have been down for about an hour, recharging for whatever tomorrow will bring.  Hawk just completed tomorrow's lessons because he wishes to spend his tomorrow out fishing with Falcon.  The big ones are off to bed and Falcon and I will end our day, similar to the way we begin it...sitting outside, enjoying the cool breeze, only this time instead of the fresh morning sun, we'll enjoy the stars in the sky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment