In a homeschooling house full of 7 kids & 3 guniea pigs....there is never a dull moment! A lot of people show genuine concern for us and want to know how we are doing, as the road we've left behind was not a pleasant one. So, here I am, to tell some of our stories...share some of our days...and open up a part of our world to you! Come join us on our journey so you won't miss the moments that take our breath away!

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lucky Charms Treats

So, I ran to the store to pick up a few things this evening.  Of course, I can hardly ever escape to the grocery without at least one kid in tow and tonight, I had Eagle with me.

As we walked through the isles, a certain new product caught our eye right there in the Granola Bar section!  Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treat Bars 

Now, I always love convience, don't get me wrong...but 6 bars for $4.00 really?  I must admit, they did seem quite yummy but with only 6 bars per box, we'd have to get two boxes just so the entire flock could each have one.  Now, as I said, I do love convience but I also love to be frugal and $8.00 for a snack is just not acceptable!

So, as I stared at the box...I thought...hmm...couldn't we just make them?  Off to the cereal isle we went, where we picked up a box of store brand Lucky Charms which in our local store, happened to be "Marshmallow Treasures" for the low price of $1.99.  Then of course we needed Marshmallows, again...store brand and these were $1.69.  Luckily, we had butter at home.  So for $3.68 we will have an entire 9 x 13 pan full of yummy Marshmallow Treasure Treats!

But first, we have to make them.  So, we gathered our ingredients...



Hawk was willing to help in the kitchen tonight and I was glad to take pics of him making us a lovely treat :)

Melt 3 Tbs. of butter


add in 40 large marshmallows


Spread treats in pan


The verdict is in and Hawk says they are "Amazing".  Currently, Duckling and Emu can be found attacking the pan of treats.  I think that spells "SUCCESS"!

$3.68 and we have leftovers :)

Here's what we used:
6 cups of Marshmallow Treasures (our store brand of Lucky Charms)
3 TBS Butter
40 large Marshmallows

Here's how Hawk did it:
Melt butter in a large saucepan, then add marshmallows.  Stir until mixture is smooth and all the marshmallows are completely melted.  Remove from heat and add "lucky charms".  Spread treats out evenly in a 9 x 13 pan.  Allow to cool before cutting.  Enjoy! :)

Yet, another frugal tip from yours truly.  If you missed our version of uncrustables, click here

See ya next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment