In a homeschooling house full of 7 kids & 3 guniea pigs....there is never a dull moment! A lot of people show genuine concern for us and want to know how we are doing, as the road we've left behind was not a pleasant one. So, here I am, to tell some of our stories...share some of our days...and open up a part of our world to you! Come join us on our journey so you won't miss the moments that take our breath away!

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Macaw alters her own curriculum!

The power of a 5 year old! 
There is nothing more amazing than watching my children learn...except watching them come up with their own way to learn!

Yesterday, Macaw and I were working on Language Arts.  Our lesson was interrupted and I returned to find this on her desk!
I see my foot.
She is working on high frequency words with word and pictures as part of her Calvert curriculum.

As you can see in the picture...there is an entire stack of "picture cards".  She set up her sentence using a piece to her new pedicure set she got the other day.

This routine continued as she changed her sentence simply by adding a new object.
I see my cup.
We went on to read..."I see my nail clippers", "I see my pencil", "I see my nail file"....

This small alteration made this lesson so much fun for Macaw!
It's wonderful to see her make changes to her own curriculum.  That's what homeschooling is all about...tailoring the curriculum to meet the needs of an individual child and there's nothing better than seeing them tailor it themselves!

Great Job Macaw...now on to today's lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment