In a homeschooling house full of 7 kids & 3 guniea pigs....there is never a dull moment! A lot of people show genuine concern for us and want to know how we are doing, as the road we've left behind was not a pleasant one. So, here I am, to tell some of our stories...share some of our days...and open up a part of our world to you! Come join us on our journey so you won't miss the moments that take our breath away!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Sick again? or sick still? it's really hard to tell!

Has anyone noticed that this year has been the worst for viruses?  Well, in our house we have definately noticed!  Our most recent virus landed Duckling in the hospital for a 4 day stay and she was released with the threat of being readmitted.  Convinced that something in our house is making us sick, I've asked every Dr. that has treated my kids if something in our house could be making us sick.  In all, I may have asked 7 different doctors and they all said the same thing....."NO"! 

Why would we be to the point where I believe that something in our house is making us sick?  Well, because we have had illness after illness since January, and I am not exagerating.  I looked back on my facebook posts and took note on who was sick and when, so that I would be armed with it at our next dr. visit.  It was eyeopening to look at the actual dates because while we have felt like illness has been constant, it was amazing to see exactly how often we really were. 

At least one person, sometimes 2 or 3 were sick with diarrhea and/or vomitting on each of these dates:
Jan 29, Jan 31.
Feb. 3, 4, 6, 21, 24, 25, 27th
March 2, 7, 16, 18, 20, 27, 28
April 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Last Tuesday another round of illness started it's way. Striking Macaw and Emu the first day, Cardinal the second, Duckling and Eagle the third, Falcon the fourth and Hawk the fifth, then revisiting Emu the sixth!  Duckling was violently ill, so I called her pediatrician and she was refered to the ER and I was advised that she would likely be admitted.  As we left for the ER, she began vomitting blood.  She was not only admitted, but was not released until that following Sunday.  They had a very difficult time keeping her hydrated, even with her being on an IV.  She refused to eat or drink, then on Saturday she began vomitting and had diarrhea again.  As if this wasn't stressful enough, I called to check on the kids at home to find out that Hawk was violently vomitting and Carndinal appeared to be again, a call to the pediatrician and now 2 kids being referred to the ER. 

This was a very difficult thing to coordinate, as I needed someone to stay with my 3 small kids and someone to stay in the hospital with Duckling because I was the only one who could take Cardinal and Hawk to the ER, unless I could get a power of attorney for someone else to be authorized to consent to treatment for them.  It was extremely stressful, but it all worked out!  My ER'ers were both released and went home with a friend and I was able to return back to my little Duckling.  By the end of her stay, she was able to walk with her IV pole all by herself, and a hat was no longer something you wore on your head, but yet something that attaches to the toilet for you to pee in.  She was released on Sunday, despite my being uncomfortable with the fact that she was going home refusing to drink more than 4 oz in a 24 hour time frame.  They sent her home with medication to treat her vomitting and of course, on Monday, our morning was greeted by her vomitting.  A visit to the pediatrician didn't go too bad, but she did say that we would be lucky if we were able to keep Duckling from being admitted again due to the fact that she has no reserve to make up for her lack of fluid intake.  Thank God for Momma's Milk because apparently she is actually getting enough to keep her hydrated and out of the hospital because that is just about the only thing she will drink!

I've about had enough of the hospital and we are getting to know the Dr.'s and nurses there like they are family.  It's pretty bad when you walk in the ER and they just about know you by name.  I am starting to feel like we need to fill out a change of address card with the post office because lately we spend so much time at that hospital! 

Movies in bed

Feeling good enough to play with Mommy's phone

A poor attempt at eating

Sick again, waiting to be moved to a new room while Cardinal and Hawk are on their way to the ER

Sick Hawk in the ER

Learning to walk by myself with my IV pole

A doggie visitor

We are glad to be sleeping in our own beds tonight...there is no place like home!

No comments:

Post a Comment